“Sleep” Study – Really?

During my first appointment the doctor told me that there was a possibility that my surgery could get denied if I hadn’t been consistently over a 40 BMI for the last 5 years or didn’t have any weight related comorbidities.  Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I don’t have any weight related health issues that I know of and I haven’t consistently had a BMI over 40 for the last 5 years.  Close, but not quite.  So that means my doctor sent me for a couple different tests just to see if I had any issues that we didn’t know about.  One was a sleep study.  This was an interesting experience.

Mine was scheduled for a Friday night.  I was supposed to check in at 9:45pm.  I got there and the office was in a big office building with many other businesses.  They took me into the room, it was like a motel 6 hotel room without the bathroom or sink.  It did have a tv.

So the lady hooked me up.  I’m not really sure how you are expected to sleep with all the wires and straps that you have hooked to you.   I had sensors all over my head, on my face,  tubes in my nose, sensors on my chest, fingers, legs, and toes.  Then I had to carry the pack they were all attached to around my neck.

Once I was all hooked up, I had to lay down and she had to test out the sensors.  She went in the other room and had me do different moves, like look left and right with my eyes, hold my breath, move my legs, etc.  Once she was done with that it was time for me to try to get comfy and go to sleep.  Oh ma gee!  That was a challenge!  I finally got somewhat comfortable and turned the lights off.  I brought my iPad so I could read before I fell asleep.  I’m one of those people that have to have my room pretty dark to sleep and there were so many little lights for all the machines in there, it really made it hard for me to sleep.  Well, not that the wires made it easy or anything.

I did fall asleep and I slept till about 4:00am and then I had to go to the bathroom.  So if you have to go to the bathroom, you are supposed to sit up and just say “I have to use the bathroom” and the person that is monitoring you will come in and unhook you so you can go.  So I sit up and say “I have to go to the bathroom” and crickets…. No one came in the room.  She was supposed to be watching me so even if she had stepped away from her desk and didn’t hear me when I said it, she should have seen me sitting up.  I waited about 5 minutes and said it again and crickets…. It took about 15 minutes before she came in.

After that I laid back down and tried to go back to sleep but I couldn’t, so I started reading again, and then she came in and asked me if I wasn’t to go then because she was going to wake me up in 20 min anyway.  So she unhooked me and then she gave me some papers and told me I could get dressed, but never told me I was ok to leave.  So finally after waiting about 20 min, I went out and asked if I could leave.  She said… “oh, yah, sorry.  I was wondering what you were doing”  WOW.

After that, it took almost 2 month to get the results and my doctor had to call and bug them.  And the results were…. I snore.  WOW  My husband has been trying to tell me that for years, but even after all that I will still deny it!  Nope, no sleep apnea, nothing serious there.  They were nice enough to put in their report that I might benefit from weight loss surgery, that it may reduce my snoring.  In that case, I think my husband is the only one that benefits.

And now you get to see what fun I had… now lets get some sleep.

Ready to sleep? IMG_2112


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: