Hiatal Hernia Surgery…fun fun fun

There are so many tests that have to be done before you can actually have your lapband surgery.  One of them is an upper endoscopy also referred to as EGD.  You prep for this procedure like surgery…. No eating after midnight, even if your EGD doesn’t end up happening until after 1:00pm the next day.

My appointment was a combined appointment where I did my psych evaluation, an ultrasound of my liver and my EGD.  Well my psych eval and my ultrasound went really fast because they weren’t ready for me at my EGD.  I was done with the first two around 9:00am and they didn’t have me down for my EGD until 12:30pm.  Unfortunately it was across town, so I wasn’t going back home, so I just had to wait.  When I finally did get taken back, I had to wait at least another hour before anything actually happened.

They took me back, I had to put on a hospital gown, some socks and a hospital shower cap hat.  Boy did I look cute.  Then I laid on a hospital bed for a while in a big area that had “private rooms” separated by curtains.  They came in and inserted an IV with fluids.  I actually went through two bags of fluids before I was taken in for the actual EGD.  Oh my gosh, I had the most excruciating headache too and they wouldn’t let me take anything or drink any water.

They finally took me back to the procedure room.  I met the anesthesiologist.  He put something in my IV and then the nurse was trying to tell me to do something and I had no clue what she was telling me.  I remember asking, did he put something in my IV?  I was feeling really dizzy and strange.  The nurse kind of looked at my like I was crazy and that was the last thing I saw.

When I woke up I was back in the curtain area where I started.  They woke me up, gave me some water, and told me I was done.  The doctor came over and informed me that I had a big hernia that needed to be repaired before we did the lapband surgery.  They scheduled me for surgery…. Stupid me, I was thinking about ways to miss the least amount of work, so I decide to do it right before Thanksgiving that way I had 5 days to recover before I had to work again.  That also meant a only turkey broth for Thanksgiving dinner!

Fast forward to surgery day.  It started a little better.  When I got to the surgery center they got me right in and started prepping me for surgery.  This time I was in my own private room.  Same adorable hospital outfit too.  This time they had the hardest time getting my IV in.  They tried 3 different spots before they got it.  The anesthesiologist was Russian with a heavy accent, but he was awesome.  He helped the nurse and found the spot the first try.  Next was a horrid shot in my stomach, it was a blood thinner to prevent blood clots.  OH MY GEE…. That hurt!  They should give you that after you are asleep.

They wheeled me into the operating room, strapped my arms and legs down and then I was asleep.  I woke up in the same curtained area where I awoke when I had my EGD.  This time I was a little slower at bouncing back.  They helped me get dressed, I felt pretty dizzy and my head felt heavy.  I just wanted to put my head down, but they had me sitting up.  They gave me sips of water.  Basically as soon as I could drink a bottle of water and walk a little they kicked me out the door.

I got home and had to do 2 days of clear liquids, then 2 days of full liquids like milk and protein shakes, then 3 days of pureed foods.  After that it was back to normal.  I was sore and moving slow for about 5 days.  I had a lot of gas trying to get out from the gas they put in your stomach during surgery, so I walked a lot and took gas-x, both seemed to help.   After 5 days I was pretty much back to normal.   My surgery was on Tuesday and I did cook my family their Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.  I didn’t get all crazy like I normally would, but I still was able to get up and do that.  I will also mention that I slept in my recliner for about 5 days.  Laying flat really hurt because of the gas.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to give as much info as I could.  This is one of the things that I searched for and couldn’t find anyone that had a blog about having the hiatal hernia repair done separate from their band surgery.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: